Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hershey or Promotion

When I went back to Sacramento for the week to teach, they started the examination process for Lieutenant for Sac PD. Having been encouraged by Cap 'n Happy and others, I decided to "enter" the race. I knew it would be a long shot...not only based upon the competition, but also because I would be on vacation for the next three weeks.

Upon my return to Maine, I received the next phase of the examination (a written exercise where we answer 5-6 questions). I had 10 days to complete the questions and submit a resume. You would think I could find the time, but the reality is that there was so much "living" I had to do with my family. Suzi and I talked about it and we figured I would have time to complete and submit the questions when we arrived in Hershey, PA. Our "plan" was to arrive early into Hershey..Dad would have half of a day to work, then we would spend the next day at Hershey Park (amusement park). We arrived a little later than we expected and realized there was an opportunity to take a tour to learn how they make that wonderful chocolate. Needless to say, the questions did not get answered that night.

Suzi offered to take the kids to the amusement park the next day, but I decided that I wanted to make the most of this trip, which included going to Hershey Park with the family. It didn't take long at all the realize I had made the right decision. Sitting next to Michael on a roller coaster with a big smile on his face...dancing to Stevie Wonder with Suzi....I found that this time together was "priceless".

No comments: