Friday, July 25, 2008

Jesus Freaks and Marmalade Jelly

One of my most cherished memories from this trip occurred during one our our drives. Joseph was sitting in the middle and at some point, Suzi started reading him some excerpts from the book Jesus Freaks. For those that don't know, this is a book done by a Christian music group called DC Talk - it has short stories of Christian martyrs (recent and long ago).

As Suzi read, you could just tell that Joseph was soaking in the information....there was something about the moment. Joseph seemed interested and wanted to know more about these people. I guess there was something too about Suzi just reading to him and explaining what these people went through. It really is quite humbling for those that want to read the book.

Where does marmalade jelly fall into this? DC Talk has a song called Jesus Freaks. I never really cared for it (not my kind of music). At some point, Trevor made a comment like, "It is a strange song....it says something about marmalade jelly. What does jelly have to do with Jesus?" I start thinking theologically, and I can't seem to make the connection. Thanks to Mr. Blackberry, Suzi looked up the lyrics to the song. The words penetrated my heart and taught me another lesson about judging a song or a person based upon limited information. Once we took the time to listen to the lyrics, we walked away with a whole new appreciation for the song. It is now Michael's favorite.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/d.c.+talk/jesus+freak_20037735.html

1 comment:

Aqua said...

That is really cool Joseph.

Kaity