Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hargadon Handyman – an oxymoron


After realizing that our umbilical cord was broken, my heart raced and my anxiety rose (despite Philippians 4:6-7). Who do I call? Will they take advantage of me when they see my CA plates? I decide to call my friend Roy, who sold us the trailer (www.Amacks.com). I asked Roy how much he would charge me to fix the cord and then I asked him what the technical term was for the cord that goes from the trailer and plugs into the back of the truck. Roy says, “It should cost about $20.00….and the name of the part is “Umbilical Cord”.

I make my first call to some RV place. I asked them for a quote to fix the cord….they said they would have to call me back (after asking me if I bought the trailer from them). My rip-off senses were on high alert. I call a few more auto/truck places with no luck. I call Roy again and he affirms this is something I can fix. Little does he know the Hargadon history regarding fixing things. He assures me the wires are color-coded. I run to the hardware store and buy $30.00 in parts (bolt cutters, wire strippers, and lots of electrical tape). I come back, turn off all the power and even disconnect the terminals from the battery. I was shocked as a kid…long story, but my Mom (bless her heart) laughed when I jumped up in the air.
After some surgery, with my lovely surgical assistant Suzi, we connected all the wires…taped them up, and then…..no lights. What? We were sure we did it right. Call Roy! Check the fuses! Sure enough, that was the problem. A new breakthrough for the Hargadon family – I am thinking of maybe starting an electrical business.

This photo shows my handywork.

No comments: